Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sorry, Ursula...


But your contract with Ariel isn't legally binding because she's only 16 - contracts from minors lack consideration! Flawed legal reasoning on Disney's part...unless the laws are different under the sea.





Yeah....looks I'm starting to think like a lawyer now. After being immersed in dense law material at least 5-6 days a week (from both class and outside reading), it's getting hammered into my brain. If possible, I think I'm probably even more detail oriented now (paying attention to "ands" and "ors", analyzing sentences, etc). I noticed this today during my quiet time.

Reading 1 Timothy 4:10 - "For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe."

I'm pretty sure I've just skimmed through that many times and not giving it a second thought. But then this time, I stopped and had to reread it. What's going on here? Is Paul going Universalist on me? I had an idea of what he meant - my idea was that God was available as Savior to everyone, but only truly Savior to those who believe. But still, that didn't seem quite right, because it says God IS Savior of ALL people. So....to the internet. The Greek for "Savior" here is "soter" which connotes one who rescues; one who heals; and/or one who preserves. It's used in the Bible to refer to humans too (example: Judge Othniel in the OT delivered the Israelites from the Mesopotamian king. He was referred to as soter). So in this way, God is really Savior to all: He sustains, protects, and heals - Christian and non-Christian alike. And what is the "especially" part for those who believe? Eternal salvation and freedom from Satan - and of course, that's the real treasure.

Anyway, I had 2 or 3 of those moments today (and I think last devotion, too), which is much more than usual. Conclusion: law school is good for my bible study!

Many have asked me how law school is going. It's definitely not easy. It's not like undergrad where you can just work your butt off and then come out on top - here, you work your butt off, and you keep your head above water, if you're lucky. If I worked this hard in undergrad, I really think I could've gotten a 4.0 (looking back, I wish I did work harder). We only have to go to 2 classes per day, but honestly, after those classes, everyone is just burned out mentally. The level of engagement needed (especially when some professors call on you randomly) and the level of analysis you need to do thinking about all the hypothetical cases they throw out there, it's just pretty taxing on your brain. So by the time I get home, I can't really focus on homework/reading right away.

Having said that, though, I am enjoying this. Really. It's something that I can see myself doing for the rest of my life (couldn't really say the same for political science in undergrad...I was worried that law school was just my default option and that I wouldn't really get into it). I'm planning on going to the national student conference for Christian Legal Society at the end of October to get a vision of how I can serve God and people through my future career in law - I'm excited to be starting this new journey!

3 comments:

  1. you know, when you are a magical evil sea witch, you don't really play by the rules. plus, there are a ton of inconsistencies in disney movies... have you ever thought about how mermaids reproduce? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah...you'd think Triton would be able to destroy it though since it wasn't by the rules. Oh well...and yes, I've thought about that before - definitely a dilemma. I knew Belle was always better for me anyway

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG LAURA DON'T MAKE ME STUMBLE. They probably just reproduce like fish, where the male and the female mermaids just throw all their little "stuff" into the water and it mermaids just magically appear.

    ReplyDelete