Paula Deen has been on Food Network for as long as I can remember. While I don't necessarily condone her cooking style, which includes hefty portions of butter and excessive use of the deep fryer, I still always respected her as a chef with genuine warmth and southern charm.
| Deep fried cheesecake, anyone? |
I've been seeing all the news about Paula Deen lately, and I am infuriated. In case anyone has not followed this situation, Paula Deen has been dropped by several of her business partners in the past couple weeks for something that occurred 30 years ago, despite her earnest apologies. In a court deposition (during a lawsuit in which an employee in one of her restaurants sued her and her brother for racial discrimination), she admitted to using the "N-word" about 30 years ago, during an armed robbery in which a black male was pointing a gun to her head.
It's worth pointing out that Paula could have lied on the stand, like many do. With the realization that this admission could potentially cause huge trouble for her and her reputation, she could have "fudged the truth" and ignored that aspect of her past. However, she chose to do the right thing and tell the truth. But apparently, our society penalizes people for telling the truth.
Being a minority, I don't appreciate it at all when people use racial slurs (like "chink" or "slant"). Of course, I don't condone the use of that language. However, I would also be a liar if I said I never used any racial slurs myself or said anything that I wish I could take back. What all these corporate sponsors are doing to Paula is outrageous and hypocritical. As Paula said in a tear-filled interview on the Today Show, whoever has never sinned nor said anything they wish they could take back can cast the first stone and hit her so hard in the head it kills her. While even the Pharisees backed off when Jesus first said this in the Bible (when they were about to stone a woman for sexual impurity), these cold, heartless corporate robots are throwing boulders at Paula anyway. I don't think any of us - white, black, yellow, brown, etc. - are innocent of being 100% racial slur free (not just currently, but looking back 30 years, if your life even goes back that far). And certainly, none of us would want to be condemned for life for misspeaking once, bearing a scarlet letter that can never be erased.
If God bore the same attitude as Food Network, Target, Walmart, etc., we would all eternally burn in hell - just saying. Instead, God offers us forgiveness and redemption through the sacrifice and resurrection of his Son, Jesus Christ. We are given a second chance and new life in him.
Not that these corporations are Christian organizations that follow the Bible, but everyone, even those who don't believe in Jesus, has most likely experienced many second chances in life, in one way or another. I'm just shocked that these people fail to recognize that, and instead feel the need to burn this poor lady at the stake for something she deeply regrets.
This phenomenon of seeing others' faults but not your own seems several times multiplied when it applies to celebrities. People put their celebrities on pedestals and expect perfection. While it's true that celebrities should be good role models to people who look up to them, they are all still imperfect humans! We must stop idolizing famous people so much and realize that they are flawed just like the rest of us. I feel that the disappointment and anger that follows from celebrity scandals is at least partly due to the fact that we have placed that person on a pedestal. Of course, we are also angry and disappointed because of our conscience/sense of right and wrong (and rightfully so), but I feel like it is unduly magnified for celebrities.
It appears that many of Paula's fans are showing their support for her - her new book, which was scheduled for release in October, has become the #1 selling book on Amazon. However, I also read a news article yesterday that said that the publisher for that book dropped her, so that book will no longer be releasing.
This situation is getting out of hand. People need to stop being ungracious hypocrites and give this woman the second chance that they would want if they were in the same situation.

No comments:
Post a Comment