Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Journey

Here I am, the summer after graduating from undergrad at the University of Michigan.  It's been a very long and interesting journey - God has been so good and I can honestly say that in these past four years, I have grown more than I have in the first 18 years of my life, combined.  Something that my staff worker Laura said to me my freshman year (regarding the Christian life) still sticks out to me - "One of the biggest things I've learned over the years is that I still have a lot to learn."

How true that statement is.  At the time, I didn't buy it.  There I was, a cocky freshman who just came to UM from a church that gave its kids a strong foundation in biblical knowledge and principles.  In addition, out of the kids in CBC, I'm pretty sure I read the Bible more than most of them, and knew more biblical knowledge than most.  Parents liked me and saw me as a good and mature kid (haha I'm sounding like Paul - Philippians 3:5-6).  And while I definitely appreciate the foundation that CBC has helped build in me, I can't deny that it led to loads of inner pride.  What does the Bible have to say about pride? 

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom. - Proverbs 11:2

Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. - Proverbs 16:18

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. - Matthew 23:12

How foolish and naive I was as a freshman!  My thought process: Okay, sure, I have more to learn - I could use more extensive Bible knowledge, and knowledge of apologetic arguments.  Other than that, I'm pretty much set.

God is more gracious and merciful than I even know.  It would already be loving and gracious of Him to discipline me by breaking me down and setting me straight from there - as the Heavenly Father who loves us, "He disciplines us for our good, that we may share His holiness" (Hebrews 12:10).  While I've had my fair share of unpleasant, humbling experiences, God was never too harsh on me.  Gradually and subtly, He has shown me that yes, indeed, I still have a lot to learn.  And there is endless room for growth.

I have seen so many different life experiences from people.  So many differing perspectives and world views.  So many cultural differences that completely change how people view the world.  So many different ways that the Lord speaks to me through the same Bible passages, during different seasons of life.  So many ways to worship our God.  So many ways to show His love to others.

I am very happy that I've broken out of that heavily sheltered bubble that I lived in the first 18 years of my life.  How freeing it is to learn that this is not the end of the road, that I can never know God well enough, and that I will be growing in His grace and truth for the rest of my life.  How joyous it is to realize that this relationship with Jesus Christ is not one that is static and monotonous, but one that is dynamic and alive!

Throughout my college experience, I can confidently say that I have encountered the living God.  I have come to know Him better than I ever have in my life.  And I am finally on the path to genuinely loving Him and not just loving His gifts and blessings.  Yet, as I learned my freshman year, the journey is not over.  Entering into the next season of my life - law school - I know this time that I have much to learn in this walk with the Lord.  Though I am uncertain of the future, and scared because the future is uncertain, I trust that He has great things in store for me.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths. - Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment